Blog Archive

Saturday, December 04, 2010

Thoughts on the Nissan Juke - Finally!

Personal File: Finally - after a few months of staring at this chop sitting half finished on my desktop, I was able to put together a solid design. The results turned out even better than I had hoped for as there was no way to know where the design would lead.

The original design, when introduced at Geneva in '09 as the Nissan Qazana, was full of crazy design elements yet had some impressive dune buggy qualities to it as well. However as an automotive design fan, in countless times before, watched as a concept model became a watered down for production vehicle. The blade running/turn lights bloated up, the extra details on the grille were removed, along with the cool headlight LED ring treatment. I didn't care for this production look at all and felt compelled to try to "fix" it in some fashion.

After trying to put it all back like the concept, I took a step back and went another way - to make it more truck-like. Traditional headlights, traditional foglights and grille treatments were my focus. With that said, the remaining unaltered design elements seemed to actually flow together better. As a result, I think the Juke feels more like a real Nissan product instead of a one-off design study.

What do you think - better or worse? This time I showed a before and after inside the same picture with a 50/50 split.

All source photos copyright original owners

5 comments:

  1. Hi
    I agree that the production Juke's front end is not something I like, either, but I think your redesigned front end gives it an even less familial resemblance to Nissan's other products. Maybe if you could crib the front ends off the Xterra, Pathfinder or the 2011 Patrol and make it somehow fit. At first I was going to suggest the headlights of either the 370Z or Maxima but I don't think that would look right, either.
    I enjoy your redesigns & always look forward to seeing what you're going to do next.

    Doug in LB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Doug - I really appreciate you taking the time to comment :) I had thought about lifting a front end off the Xterra but it just didn't seem to fit. The Juke has an upswept face on both sides and I really do like that design trait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice redo. I'd buy yours in a heartbeat. I really can't get past the large rounds sculpted into the plastic bumper, ala last century. It's interesting that the marketing people say they were trying to appeal to the younger sport bike crowd. Yours is closer to a sport bike light pods.
    If they were going for off road lamps, they should look like a mod and not look burried in a mound of plastic.
    Nice car and concept overall. I hope the car survives till they fix it. Dealers are having a tough time getting them off the lot.
    They would save a lot of money hiring you as a consultant and I'd have one in my driveway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chase - thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you like my chop :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally thought about a similar design as I watched it close... you made my dream true my friend! :D

    ReplyDelete